It was cold and gray this morning. It's been that way for days. I really was not motivated to run, so I didn't. All day I felt guilty and after a critique with a student, a visit to the office, a chat with my Dept. Chair, a second go at a grant proposal and a few other things I decided that it had turned into a beautiful day after all and why not try my first ever afternoon run?
It really was nice, I ran from 3:45 to 4:45 on a sunny day with a temp of 62 F. Much warmer than the past week and much warmer than this morning when it was only 34. Here are some thoughts.
- Many more cars out at this time of day, more people not paying attention
- Many more dogs out too
- More people out to give you that weird look
- A bit dehydrated, probably since I hadn't planned to run
- The temps were warmer, that's nice this time of year, they were also more stable so dressing was easier and I didn't have to wear gloves or a hat
- I loved seeing the afternoon winter light from the other direction, the landscape looked different, fresh
- It was nice seeing and hearing all the kids playing at various playgrounds, school yards and in the numerous back-yard day care centers we have around here.
- More people in general out walking, riding bikes, kids playing, folks doing yard work
- It was a great pick-me-up for a time of day when I usually suffer from the dull-drums
- When I get bored I eat bad snacks, not possible when out running!
The run was really good, my pace did not suffer any from the time-of-day change and I didn't feel any more or less fatigued. I was a bit dehydrated probably since the run was a last minute decision so I hadn't been drinking extra water during the day. I really think I might try this again, especially now that school is almost out and my time will free up. I will probably always be a morning runner but it's nice to know I won't melt or explode or something equally as devastating if I run out of my routine!